Sunday, March 17, 2013

The Genie is out of the bottle

 

Face of the genie

The past two days have gone by so quickly. Saturday Mohamed and Madiha gave us a tour of the city. We had the opportunity to visit silversmiths and the souk (market). We came across this odd looking mask and the shopkeeper told us it is the face of the genie. Women in the city wear traditional clothes from the various regions of Morocco. To my surprise the women who wear the veil raise it when they are only in the company of women. I also found it interesting that what one wears in the home can be very different from what they wear out in the street.

Silversmith
Entrance to the tomb of a saint

Visiting Wiam's grandparents' farm
Sunday morning began with a visit to the hammam, a public bath house for women. In the hammam we were scrubbed by a washer woman…this was a very interesting experience for me needless to say, but Moroccans seem to have a special way for making people feel at home, before I knew it I was filling up buckets of water. Mohamed arranged for us to have lunch with his in-laws on their farm and for us to get henna. Our day ended with a visit to the beach were I got to see the sunset and realize that next week I will be looking at that same sun from the other side of the Atlantic.
 

Aglou beach

3 comments:

  1. Stunning views. What an insight to a beautiful culture. Thank you Ms. Steadham. Keep posting pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When visiting the silversmiths, were you able to see their actual work? if so what particular item interested you out of the rest?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually saw men working on bracelets and belts. I think the pendants are beautiful. Moroccans put so much detail into everything they do.

      Delete