Friday, March 15, 2013

Day 7: You are most welcomed!


Madiha taught us today that Moroccans say you are most welcomed and those of the same gender greet each other with several kisses on the same side of the check to show love. I have felt so welcomed here in Tiznit, a student greeted me this way and it was so touching. Some of the students created beautiful artwork that they gave me.
 

The people of Tiznit are amazing. Mohamed and Madiha have been extremely hospitable. During the classroom visits this morning the students prepared excellent presentations that showcased their pride in their city. Madiha prepared a delicious lunch for us and was great at calming my nerves before the presentation to MATE (Moroccan Association of Teachers of English).

 
We had a great group of teachers with wonderful questions. The teachers were extremely welcoming and friendly and they had a lovely reception following the presentation. It was such a privilege and honor to be able to pass on some of the strategies others have share with me to these wonderful and dedicated professionals.
 

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful way to say hello. Did you actually get to keep the paintings? Are their classrooms extremely different from American classrooms?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course I have the paintings I plan on framing them for my classroom. Technology is limited and the desk look different but other than that they are the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cant wait to see the paintings upfront. Is Tiznit a large or small
    city? On average how many schools per city and is there one governing school district? What are some of the similarities you found in the classroom structure?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tiznit is a small city. There are several schools in Tiznit, but the school I am attening is about 9 miles outside of Tiznit to a village called Ouled Jerrar. They are governed by a district. I have had the opportunity to observe classes and to teach as well and I don't see any difference. Children are children world over and the teachers are dedicated professionals who want the best for their students.

    ReplyDelete